Tonight the temperature is still 95 degrees at 7:20, so we are in need of a cold treat. I decided to make smoothies. Here’s what I used:
2 cups frozen blueberries
2 bananas – cut into chunks
6 oz low-fat vanilla yogurt
a couple splashed of milk
Just blend everything together for a great cold treat. No sweeteners necessary.
The girls are enjoying these as I type this (so am I). Enjoy and be creative.
This week Meijer has Grands biscuits as part of their 10/$10 – 11th item free sale. I still had a tube of Grands in the fridge that I got during the last 10/$10 sale. I was told that they make excellent doughnuts, so I decided to try it out. They did make fantastic doughnuts! They girls are eager for me to make them again.
1. Pour oil into your deep fryer and heat oil to 350.
2. Open the tube and separate the biscuits.
3. Cut the centers out of the biscuits – I used the top from a pop bottle. Save the centers to make doughnut holes.
4. Place doughnuts in fryer once the oil is hot. Fry for about 2 minutes on each side – until they are golden brown. Don’t forget to fry the holes.
5. Remove doughnuts from deep fryer and cool on paper towel lined plate.
6. Serve with topping of choice. I put cinnamon sugar in a plastic bag & shook to coat.
These are best enjoyed the day they are made.
These were super easy & very good. I will probably make again when I stock up with grands later this week. Enjoy – we did!
Here is a repeat of an earlier post. We’re going to make these this evening. We don’t have any ice cream in the house & could sure use a cold treat on this hot day.
Today I wanted to make a treat for the kids. It is unseasonably warm out and everyone came home with no homework. I don’t have any ice cream in the house right now and that is why I love this recipe. It makes milkshakes without any ice cream. And all the ingredients are right in the pantry.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups ice water
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 1 1/2 trays ice cubes – whatever you can spare
- 2 tablespoons corn oil + a 5 second squirt non-stick spray for emulsification purposes
- Place all the ingredients in the blender, including oil and non-stick spray
- Use less water for thicker milkshakes and more water for shakes that are easier on your blender motor. The blender should be about 3/4 full.
- Place the lid on and process for a full 2 minutes.
- Pour into cups and serve
Makes 4 – 12 oz. servings. See below for some preparation tips
This is a great recipe for us because we do not always have ice cream in the house. With this recipe we can make delicious shakes for a fraction of the cost of those using ice cream. And, again, all the ingredients are already in the house.
- Use Splenda instead of sugar to make them sugar-free & reduce calories
- Add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee for a mocha shake
- Add 1 very ripe banana for a chocolate banana shake
- Add a big spoonful of peanut butter for a decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake.
- Add a few broken red and white candy mints for a refreshing Chocolate Mint shake.
- To make Vanilla Milk Shakes, omit the cocoa powder, reduce the sugar to 1/2-cup and add 1 tablespoon (yes a full tablespoon) of vanilla flavoring.
Thanks for the recipe Hillbillyhousewife.com!