Today I wanted to make a treat for the kids. It is unseasonably warm out and everyone came home with no homework. I don’t have any ice cream in the house right now and that is why I love this recipe. It makes milkshakes without any ice cream. And all the ingredients are right in the pantry.
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups ice water
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 1 1/2 trays ice cubes – whatever you can spare
- 2 tablespoons corn oil + a 5 second squirt non-stick spray for emulsification purposes
- Place all the ingredients in the blender, including oil and non-stick spray
- Use less water for thicker milkshakes and more water for shakes that are easier on your blender motor. The blender should be about 3/4 full.
- Place the lid on and process for a full 2 minutes.
- Pour into cups and serve
Makes 4 – 12 oz. servings. See below for some preparation tips
This is a great recipe for us because we do not always have ice cream in the house. With this recipe we can make delicious shakes for a fraction of the cost of those using ice cream. And, again, all the ingredients are already in the house.
- Use Splenda instead of sugar to make them sugar-free & reduce calories
- Add 1 tablespoon of instant coffee for a mocha shake
- Add 1 very ripe banana for a chocolate banana shake
- Add a big spoonful of peanut butter for a decadent Chocolate Peanut Butter Shake.
- Add a few broken red and white candy mints for a refreshing Chocolate Mint shake.
- To make Vanilla Milk Shakes, omit the cocoa powder, reduce the sugar to 1/2-cup and add 1 tablespoon (yes a full tablespoon) of vanilla flavoring.
Thanks for the recipe Hillbillyhousewife.com!