Earlier this week I took my first stab at making granola bars. They turned out great and the kids loved them. I love that they are made with ingredients that I have on hand in the house. They are very sweet, though, so I’m going to have to play with it & try to tweak it. My husband’s comment was “They would probably be good if they didn’t have peanut butter in them.” Next time I might try replacing the peanut butter with chocolate chips.
Here is the recipe I used.
- 2 1/2 cups crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter (I used smooth)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, stir together the rice cereal, oats, and raisins. Set aside.
- Grease a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine the brown sugar and honey in a small saucepan over medium heat. Heat just until boiling, then remove from heat and stir in peanut butter and vanilla until smooth. Pour over the cereal and oat mixture, and mix well.
- Press into the prepared pan using the back of a large spoon. Allow to cool, then cut into squares.
I actually use wet hands to press it into the pan. I have no trouble with it sticking this way.