Did you know that you can make homemade ice cream without an ice cream maker? There are several methods of doing this and we tried one of the out tonight. If you have children, you might want to give this a try. It is quick, easy, and made with only 5 ingredients!
The recipe we used called for a 3# and a 1# coffee can. Since I do not drink coffee, we had to improvise. I use a plastic margarine container (appox. 2 1/2#) & a smaller margarine container (approx 12 oz).
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
3 TBS sugar
12 TBS rock salt
- Place first 3 ingredients in smaller container. Stir well. Place this in larger container.
- Surround with ice cubes & sprinkle on 6 TBS salt. Make sure it is well sealed.
- Have kids sit facing each other & roll the container back & forth between them on its side for 1o minutes.
- At this point, give the ice cream a quick stir. Drain the water off, refill the ice & repeat steps 2 & 3.
- Once they’re done, open & serve to your little helper!
I tasted great! The kids loved it. Next time we are going to make 2 batches at the same time & add some chocolate or chopped chocolate chips!